Another conversation with Elijah.
While watching HAIRSPRAY, which is based in the 60's...
A group of black people decided to protest a local new station because they decided to cancel their TV show. The group was all black, but the main character, Tina, leading the way with Maybelle (Queen Latifah)
Elijah asked, "Mom, why did people not like black people? Did this really happen?"
"Yes. They didn't like them because they had a darker/different skin color."
"That's it?"
I said, "Yeah. It's stupid."
And he said,
"OH! I thought they didn't like them because they could sing better." I even think he managed to add something in there about being "cooler."
It was quite climatic and intuitive since Queen Latifah was singing beautifully simultaneously. I said, "No, that's not why."
I think it's so sweet that because he is raised in a better world, he cannot see any reason for separation, other than the fact that the black women were singing better in the movie. There was even a part where the white girl was persecuted because she was willing to swim in a integrated pool. Things were not like that when i was in school.
While watching HAIRSPRAY, which is based in the 60's...
A group of black people decided to protest a local new station because they decided to cancel their TV show. The group was all black, but the main character, Tina, leading the way with Maybelle (Queen Latifah)
Elijah asked, "Mom, why did people not like black people? Did this really happen?"
"Yes. They didn't like them because they had a darker/different skin color."
"That's it?"
I said, "Yeah. It's stupid."
And he said,
"OH! I thought they didn't like them because they could sing better." I even think he managed to add something in there about being "cooler."
It was quite climatic and intuitive since Queen Latifah was singing beautifully simultaneously. I said, "No, that's not why."
I think it's so sweet that because he is raised in a better world, he cannot see any reason for separation, other than the fact that the black women were singing better in the movie. There was even a part where the white girl was persecuted because she was willing to swim in a integrated pool. Things were not like that when i was in school.

1 comments:
Very sweet. :) I happen to thoroughly enjoy that movie... Love it, love it. How can you watch that but not HSM II?????
Post a Comment